With the Xbox One you are not only limited to the titles of one console generation. You can also play games from the Xbox 360 and the original Xbox by backwards compatibility. We’ll explain how it all works, what you need and what limitations you have to expect.
Requirements for backwards compatibility
First of all you need the original disc of the Xbox 360 or Xbox game you want to play. Alternatively you can buy many classics but also directly in the Microsoft Store digital. If you now insert your disc into the Xbox One, you will not be able to start the game immediately. As soon as the title has been recognized, you can download it for free afterwards. Your disc will only count as proof that you own a certain game. Accordingly, you can only use backwards compatibility if your game system is connected to the Internet – otherwise it will be difficult to download the game. Even if you have downloaded a title, you will still need the disc to play it.
Do you already have a VPN for your Xbox? You should, read more why at http://www.vpnxbox.com/!
These old games run on the Xbox One
Not all games of the Xbox 360 and the original Xbox can be played on the Xbox One. Logical: Microsoft has to offer them first, so that you can download them. Many well-known titles are available. Among them are all games of the “Halo” and “Assassin’s Creed” series that were released for the Xbox 360. For the classic Xbox, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and Prince of Persia are available. Microsoft lists all downward compatible games on the official Xbox website. Over time, these will be updated and additional titles will be added.
As a rule, functions of Xbox One are available for all classic games. So you can record game scenes and save them as video on the console. Alternatively, you can also broadcast your game sessions directly on the Internet using Twitch. In some cases, however, the developer of a title may prevent the whole thing.
Limitations for classic games
- But it’s not “like before” when you play games from the original Xbox on the new console.
- For example, you won’t get any results for your user profile.
- In addition, you are limited to offline games.
- Online multiplayer features are not available with backward compatibility.
- Also, it is not possible to transfer a score from the original Xbox to Xbox One.
- Games from the Xbox 360 can also be played on the new console on the Internet.
- However, you will need a subscription to Xbox Live Gold.
- Apart from that you can play the classics as usual. As soon as you have created a savegame on Xbox One, you can transfer it to other consoles and save it in the cloud.